Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My unbelievably untidy house

We pick up our Japanese exchange student from BYU tomorrow. His name is Yuuki Matsumoto and he doesn't like vegetables, but likes to watch Major League Baseball and play tennis. He is almost 15 yrs. old and says he is looking forward to "eating delicious food" and wants to "visit tourist attraction." We have been brainstorming as a family about the weird things we could cook him with lots of vegetables:)

We've had two Japanese exchange students before but this will be our first boy. We were signed up as a backup family and the lady in charge calls us up on Monday afternoon and doesn't even say hello before she says, "Is your family all well?" Apparently they have lost a bunch of host families at the last minute due to swine flu and she was calling me to tell me she needed to bring over the paperwork to me now. I told her we were in Idaho. She agreed to meet me at my house at 8:30 the next morning. When she showed up she wasn't shy about telling me I needed to "tidy up a bit" because these boys are from very nice circumstances. Hmmmm. You call me on Monday afternoon, we arrive home from vacation at 11:15 that night, and then expect to show up first thing in the morning expecting perfection?

I gotta say, I actually thought the house looked pretty good, even for a non-coming-home-from- vacation-super-late-the-night-before-and then-getting-kids-off-to-school-early-the-next-morning-day.
But, whatever.

No comments: