Friday, April 1, 2011

Deer me...


We planted hundreds of bulbs last year and I've been very excited to see them start coming up but the bleepin' deer keep eating my tulips--chewing them down to the nub and sometimes even pulling out the bulb. Everybody around here has a different take on how to deter the deer from eating your plants. Grandpa says he heard you can pee on your tulips. Sadly I've actually contemplated collecting my pee to pour it around the tulips but my dad assures me it won't work. So here is my brilliant device for keeping them out of at least the front bed:

So far it seems to be working. Dad also suggested I could rig some kind of an electrical wire and put it on a timer. Easy for him to say since he's an electrical engineer.



1 comment:

Sally said...

Plant daffodils, they don't eat those. I tried those toilet bowl things one year. They hang on the inside of your toilet bowl...they smell yucky, even outside. I don't remember if it worked, I just remember they were stinky. Since we got Kramer, who pees on everything and barks at everyone, we haven't had any deer in our yard. Let Charlie out in the front yard more often. :)