Friday, July 23, 2010

Stop #3 Portland


>On the way to the coast we stopped in Portland, where Peter's brother Charles lives in a very sketchy part of town. Right around the corner is VooDoo Doughnuts, a place we had seen on the Discovery channel and a must see for Nathaniel.
First of all, it was unbearably hot inside the tiny shop. Whatever that is to the right of Rebecca in the window I can tell you it is not an air conditioner. I seriously felt faint waiting in line. I was thinking about the people working there and wondering how they can stand it. I couldn't decide whether the people working there were rude because they were miserable, or if they were just coping an attitude.
They definitely had lots of different kinds of doughnuts, but honestly I didn't see what the big deal is. Kids thought the place was actually kind of gross.
One interesting thing was the mix of seating outside--a dentist chair, two van benches, a couch, etc. Upholstered furniture? Outside? With the high amount of homeless people who were loitering about I can only imagine who was sitting there last or what has gone on on that fabric. So if we can't sit inside without baking to death, and we don't want to sit on the array of contaminated seating outside, where exactly was I supposed to enjoy my Old Dirty Bastard?
It seems a trendy place to go that caters to an exceedingly eclectic crowd of granola crunching vegan doughnut eaters. The kind of people who may want to buy a t-shirt that says, "I got VD in Portland," as well as those who may want some coco puffs or bacon on their doughnuts.

1 comment:

Meg said...

HAHAHA! Old Dirty Bastard? Do I dare ask what kind of doughnut that is?