Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My perceptual toddler

Before we had Will we knew we were facing a major dilemma with John's inability to stay in his own room. We tried everything. Charts, prizes, pep talks, night lights of all sorts and so on. We lectured, warned, and threatened. We even paid a child psychologist $100 an hour for several sessions of therapy.
He talked to John about how many days he's been alive. They calculated it down to the day and then compared to that to how many times ET has actually crawled out from underneath his bed in the middle of the night.
(The odds were definitely in John's favor.)

After Will came there was clearly no space in our room for John to horn in on. We have a small room as it is. Now we had a bassinet and a big chair for me to rock/nurse/sleep right in the spot John would drag his bedding to in the middle of the night.

I'm pretty exhausted these days. The first 3 or 4 weeks I didn't get two hours straight. It is amazing to me that I was able to keep on moving and breathing and thinking.
Well, kind of thinking.
So when John comes busting into my room in the night I don't have any fight in me.

And now I wake up to this.
Yep, that's the chair. In my bedroom.

I told him yesterday if he really is that desperate he needs to just set up camp outside our door, which he checks throughout the night to make sure it is still open. 
Meh.
"But what about my legs? Can't just my legs be in your room?"
"No, John. They can't."
"What about just my feet then?"
His feet?

No comments: