Thursday, April 23, 2020

Disappointments and Blessings

I woke up today to a reminder on my phone that Nancy's graduation was at 10am. The graduation that was cancelled weeks ago. I would have been there today to see her walk holding my little bean Thomas. It was a little bit of a downer to think about but I'm getting over it. No one could have foreseen this crazy life we are all living now. Talk is going about slowly opening things back up and Peter wants to drive down next month to see them. He's ready to see this baby too. I'm so amazed Nancy got her BA in statistics. What the heck? 

Worked on Saturday and then again yesterday. They finally started letting us wear masks a few weeks ago and now it is required. They have people at the front door screening people as they come in (mostly workers) with questions and forehead scans for temperature. There are no visitors still, unless you are having a major surgery, in which case you can have one person for 24 hours, but once they leave they can't come back. Definitely ready for this to end.

The masks are a little stifling as you can imagine, but not as bad as the cloth ones I wear to the store and such. Taking a phlebotomy class next month which I'm excited about because then I'll be able to start doing labs which will really help me start IV's successfully. Plus, it's just a skill I want to be able to do. I am soo glad I got this job. Not only do I love it-- like REALLY love it, but I'd not be able to step foot into a hospital until the fall. And even then who really knows if we'll be able to do that. I had a woman yesterday who kept telling me she really appreciated me and she wondered why I stayed in the room so much instead of going in and out quickly. Well, for one thing she has to be fed, but I told her we try to be with the patients as much as we can. It is really the most amazing thing to be with people in their most vulnerable moments and they can be so thankful. I always feel like I get more out of my job then they do by the end of the day. (Well, most days--lol.)

I leave the house by 5am and don't get back until 8pm at the earliest, so usually I am a lump on the couch after I've showered. Makes for some good sleep though. Got to see Sarah a few times yesterday and we had lunch together. All the hearts...💙💙

No comments: