Monday, September 14, 2009

Veggie Garden

(As you can see by this sad arrangement,
we are experts over here in the Mitchell home)

We planted our first official Utah garden this spring--only one plot--right in the middle of the grass. We have an unfortunate amount of grass, but don't blame us, a sadistic lover-of-lawn-mowing and water-wasting did the landscaping long before we moved in.

We started with squash, zucchini, rhubarb, and lots of tomatoes.
Now our kitchen looks like this:

My neighbor tells me that in Utah if a person leaves the car door unlocked they can wake up to seats full of zucchini, and somehow that doesn't seem that unrealistic to me. I love sitting on my porch watching the neighbors try and pawn it off onto each other, door to door missionary style.

Every time I make dinner Peter is nagging me--"Can we put zucchini in this?? Can you use the squash? How about fried zucchini?" Most of the time the answer is no, as in, no-we-really-don't-want-to-eat-any-more-zucchini-so-stop-asking, but when I can use it I do and then I'm proud of myself. By virtue of Murphy's Law Peter is usually gone for these meals.

It makes me sad to think of all the times the rest of the year when I actually buy squash. I guess we are always wanting what we don't already have, like those people in Tuscon that want real grass--(Hi Jay and Mel!!)
Guess I'll browse the recipe sites for more recipes today because Peter is coming home tomorrow.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

My squash REFUSES to grow here!! I don't know what the deal is, I plant it, water it, fertilizer, talk to it!! It grows a frew leaves and a few flowers then nothing! Good job Mitchell family!

van Zwol Family said...

I know how you feel! We struggle to grow most things, but the squash keeps on going. . .I like to make zucchini bread and then freeze it and either eat it later or give as gifts during winter!